Hoppy Mother’s Day – A Gift Guide For Your Beer Loving Mom
Thanks to the ever-thoughtful LeeAnne, who once again comes up with a gift guide to help you out with some last-minute gift ideas for your beer-loving loved ones.
Mother’s Day is just around the corner on Sunday, May 13. Your mom is cool, hip and loves beer, right? If that’s the case, you need to get her something just right that celebrates your love for her and her love for expertly crafted beer. If you have found yourself without a gift to impress the woman who has always been #1 in your life, worry not. Here at In Search of Beer, we have come up with a six-pack gift list of local gifts that are sure to make your mom feel like the special lady she is.
1. Most moms who are lovers of beer are also lovers of chocolate. Woo mom with a Beer Lover’s Box of truffles from local chocolatier Éclat Chocolate, containing three different varieties of chocolates. One truffle in the series is infused with Victory Brewing’s Hop Wallop and is sure to tickle your mom’s fancy. Other truffles in the box are infused with Calvados liquor and single malt whiskey. Éclat Chocolate can be found in West Chester, as well as represented in multiple specialty food shops around Philadelphia such as DiBruno Brothers. You can also purchase online.
2. Does mom love rubbing elbows with the in-crowd and being included in the best beer events? If so, make sure mom kicks off Philly Beer Week in style with a VIP ticket to PBW’s Opening Tap. Mom will be thrilled to welcome the Hammer of Glory to Independence Mall in America’s best beer drinking city. Your mother will be in on an early tasting session from the region’s top breweries. Plus she’ll score a souvenir drinking glass and a gift bag from the PBW folks. It’s the gift that keeps on giving! Tickets can be purchased online.
3. Remind mom of your love for her every time she sits down to a cold brew. The adorable LOVE pint glass from Open House is sure to bring a smile to mom’s face as she relaxes this spring and summer over her favorite IPA. The logo is, of course, fashioned after the LOVE statue in its namesake park in downtown Philly. Pick up a few so she always has one on hand for guests or her own personal tasting sessions. Open House can be found at 107 South 13th Street in the city, or you can shop online.
4. Give mom the gift of an exciting beer class—or, better yet, attend with her! Sure to please attendees of all ages and palates, the classes held at Tria Fermentation School are fun, informative and plenty boozy. You and mom can yuck it up while sipping some Belgians, pairing stouts with cheese or comparing some refreshing summery brews to crisp glasses of wine. The schedule is always changing so check it out online and sign up for your favorite. Some of the classes we have our eye on for the month of June—and they’re not sold out yet!—include (Really) Tired Hands led by Jean Broillet IV and The Gypsy Kings (Of Beer), which celebrates the exciting new trend of gypsy brewing. Located at 1601 Walnut Street, it’s an easy walk to Tria Rittenhouse afterward to treat mom to dinner if you’re looking to make her feel extra special.
5. Are you looking for a hobby you can share with mom? What would be more “awwwww” inducing than starting up your own Mother-Son or Mother-Daughter home brewing team? Think of the fun you and your mom would have brewing together, coming up with recipes and sharing your creations with family and friends. Give mom something to brag about! But, first, give her a home brew kit. A Primary Fermentation Kit from Barry’s Homebrew Outlet includes almost everything she’ll need to make her first five gallons of beer. The only thing missing besides a big pot for boiling is about two cases of non-twist off empty beer bottles. Worry not—that’s something you and mom can obtain together while your beer is fermenting!
6. Perhaps what mom wants most for Mother’s Day is to be able to spend time with her kids, yourself included. Celebrate the day right by taking her out for brunch at a beer-centric restaurant you both love. Delight her with bacon pancakes and a seasonal Saison at Kennett. Soak up some strawberry challah French toast with a spring cider at Grey Lodge. Wash down a lamb sausage scramble with a house rustic ale from Cabinet Artisanal Brewhouse at The Farmer’s Cabinet. Follow up some fried chicken and waffles with a double IPA at Hawthornes Café. No matter where you go, mom is sure to be happy just to be in your company. And you in hers!
I hope this list helps you find the perfect gift—or celebration idea—for the beer loving mom this Mother’s Day. She deserves the best!