Hoppy Holidays – A Gift Guide for the Beer Lover
Always thinking of others, my wonderful wife LeeAnne has volunteered to help the weary gift-giver find something for the beer lover in their life. Enjoy!
With Thanksgiving just a day away, Black Friday specials are cropping up in advertisements everywhere and gift-buying is creeping into our minds. Every year when the holiday season arrives, we all start thinking about getting some little presents for our friends and loved ones. The same dilemma comes up each year: What do I get? If you have a beer lover on your gift-giving list, you’re in luck. Look no further than this fun-loving gift list for your beloved beer buddy, hoppy husband or libation-loving lady friend. All of the items on this list are budget friendly personal gifts that are sure to be one of their favorite gifts this season.
1. Any beer-loving local to Philadelphia would love to get these adorable pint glasses from Open House. Sturdy 16 oz glasses are decorated with one of 4 Philly-related designs, like a Philly pretzel or the Liberty Bell. Open House can be found at 107 South 13th Street in the city, or you can shop online.
2. Beer is always best enjoyed with friends and food. Since you’re already friendly with your beer gift recipient, why not provide some food? Cheese and charcuterie can be expertly paired with beer and makes for a fun gift basket if you throw in related items such as a wooden cheese board, beer mustard, fig jam, crackers and, of course, your favorite beer. A great place to shop would be DiBruno Bros., where the cheese monger can guide your choices for a beer-related gift. DiBruno Bros. locations, hours and online ordering options can be found at dibrunos.com.
3. What says manly more than beer drinking? That’s right, facial hair! Present your man with this men’s shaving kit that includes beer soap and a wooden soap dish in a cigar box. This is such a strong, manly gift, I’m sure it’s going to fight back against wrapping paper! Your man will surely adore his beer-scented face while you can adore the post-shave smoothness. This gift might just be a win-win.
4. Everyone loves to read and your beer friends are no exception. Help them to satisfy their cravings while commuting, waiting around at the DMV or just chillin’ on the couch.
For the imbiber: Tasting Beer: An Insider’s Guide to the World’s Greatest Drink. This book will quickly become a bible for those who drink religiously.
For the intellectual: Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles. Specially designed for your beer nerd, this book takes you through all the formulas and techniques for brewing the perfect beer.
For the insatiable: The Brewmaster’s Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food. Food + beer = love. Need we say more?
5. Any lad or lass who likes to tote some bottles to gatherings with friends would love one of these hand-crafted wooden 6-pack holders. These carrying cases are custom made for your beer lover and can be engraved with words, pictures or both!
6. Too cool for school? Not beer school! Pick a class for your beer lover to attend—either with you or with a friend—at the Philly Beer School. Full schedule found on their website, http://www.vinology.com/beer.php.
7. If your beer lover is loco for fun accessories, how about getting her (or him!) a beer bottle opener ring? This ring will come in handy any time your friend is out and about and hears the phrase, “Anyone have a bottle opener?” This gift is sure to make your friend a hit at parties.
8. Surprise your loved one with tickets to a beer festival or special beer event. What better way to cure the winter blues than snuggling up with your honey at a—hopefully indoor—fest dedicated to beer. For a full list of events to find one in your area, visit http://beeradvocate.com/events/calendar/2012/01 and scroll through the months.
9. Even the most dedicated beer drinker needs to rest their glass or bottle from time to time. A nice resting place would be on top of kitschy beer coasters! You can find these items practically anywhere, usually with fun designs that everyone will love.
10. An obvious choice is to simply give the gift of beer. (Can you believe we made it so far into this list without mentioning that actually giving beer would be a great gift for a beer lover? Neither can we!) Drop by a local bottle shop, such as The Foodery if you’re local to Philadelphia, to mix-and-match your own custom six-pack to gift to someone this year. The folks at the bottle shop should be able to help you make some great choices, but here’s what we think would make up a great present:
Victory Dark Intrigue: a seasonal bourbon barrel-aged version of their Storm King Stout.
Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock: warm up next to the fire with this smoky, meaty treat.
Great Lakes Christmas Ale: what better to celebrate the holidays than this Winter Warmer?
St. Feuillien Cuvée De Noël: Belgian strong ale perfect for cold nights.
Sly Fox Christmas Ale: a yearly release brewed with a bevvy of heartwarming spices.
Tröegs Mad Elf: A huge Belgian ale with Christmas spices, lusted after every year.
I would be remiss in creating this gift list without including one more item. I realize this goes beyond the scope of top 10 and it’s not exactly beer-related, but I have to include it.
Honorable Mention: Sandwich coasters. Why? So he can say, “Get me a sandwich!” as he’s enjoying his beer.
I hope this list helps you find the perfect gift for the beer nerd on your gift list this holiday season. I know we all say that it’s the thought that counts, and I’m sure our beer friends agree so long as the thought is related to beer. Happy Holidays!